About Eesti Gaas
160 years of warmth and light
The seed of our company was planted on December 15, 1864, when Riga businessmen Mr. William Weir & Comp signed a concession agreement with the city of Reval, the capital of Estonia, for the construction and operation of a gas factory and water line in the city. The agreement was approved by His Imperial Majesty Alexander II.
For over a century and a half, under different owners, we have had gas help make people’s lives cleaner and more comfortable. We are proud of our history and continue to write new chapters. Now not only about gas and only in Estonia, but about clean energy in the entire Baltic Sea region.
Full scale LNG turn takes place, new gas supply chains are established.
Sales activities start in Poland.
LNG bunker vessel is launched
Infortar, the owner company of Eesti Gaas, enters biomethane production, acquires shares in three biomethane plants.
Sales on the Lithuanian and Finnish market start.
Construction of solar parks continues.
A contract is signed for LNG deliveries through the Klaipeda floating terminal.
The new export brand, Elenger, is introduced.
Several new CNG stations are opened, the sales of the local renewable fuel, biomethane, are started.
The first solar park is built.
An order for the construction of an LNG bunker vessel is placed.
Truck-to-ship LNG bunkering service is initiated,
LNG off-grid solutions follow later on.
Entering the Latvian market.
Estonia's largest investment company, Infortar, becomes a major shareholder of AS Eesti Gaas. Geographical and business portfolio expansion strategy is adopted.
Gas transmission network is nationalized. Gas distribution network remains within the group (AS Gaasivõrk).
Electricity sales start.
Gas network subsidiary is divided.
First CNG station of the Baltic states is built, CNG sales start.
Company is reorganized into a group,
gas distribution is separated from gas sales.
Pipe connection with Latvia is built.
Founding agreement of a joint-stock company AS Eesti Gaas is signed.
The use of grid gas reaches its historical peak of over 1.7 billion m3 in Estonia.
The name "Eesti Gaas" is introduced
Rapid development of the Estonian gas network, the construction of intercity and local pipelines, as well as new cross-border connections.
Import of natural gas to Estonia starts, natural gas is first mixed with shalle oil gas
A separate gas transport company is established which later becomes AS Eesti Gaas
The first pipeline connection between Kohtla-Järve, Estonia and Leningrad, Russia is completed, shale gas export starts.
Introduction of new models of gas appliances (gas stoves, fireplaces, water heaters).
Start of artificial gas production from a mixture of coal and oil shale.
The pre World War I gas production and use reaches its highest.
Gas storage is built in Tallinn.
Gas network is expanded, gas factories are reconstructed, capacities are increased.
The orientation of the gas factory has changed significantly and shifts from production for street lighting towards private consumers. With the constant growth of private customers, gas demand increases by more than 5 million cubic feet in three years (1894-96).
Tallinn city government takes over the company
The first gas factory is established in Tartu.
By the end of the year, the entire inner city of Tallinn and the main streets of the suburbs are covered with gas lighting.
All the assets and liabilities of the Weir and Comp are transferred to a new private company, formed by local businessmen.
In the newly built gas factory, artificial gas production starts from English coal, which will initially be used for street lighting.
On December 17, the first gas lantern will be lit on the Town Hall square in Tallinn.
On December 15 (in the old calendar December 3), the city of Reval (now Tallinn) signs a contract with Riga businessmen Mr. William Weir & Comp for the construction and operation of a gas factory and water line in the capital of Estonia.